Will Honey Lighten My Hair Color?

Welp, I don't know yet but I'm about to test out this theory.   I've seen people talk about how honey is a natural way to lighten your hair color if your hair is brunette/black.  And I'm looking to mix things up this summer without damaging the quality of my hair.  I'll test this out by pre-pooing* with honey every wash.

This is the homemade hair lightening concoction that I used:


3 parts Honey
1 part Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 part Conditioner

Directions:
I lightly misted dry hair with water, then applied the honey mixture to small sections of hair making sure to saturate the hair from the roots to ends.  Cover the hair with a plastic cap and wait 30 minutes to 8 hours.  After letting the mixture sit on the hair: rinse, shampoo, and proceed with the rest of your wash day routine.






My experience:
My first time using the honey, I made a bit of a mess.  It was very sticky and made everything I touched sticky (including my camera) but I'll hopefully get better about containing the stickiness as I continue to work with the honey.

Even after letting it sit for two hours, there wasn't a noticeable difference in my hair color (I wasn't expecting any major changes because the honey is suppose to lighten your hair gradually over time).  But I will keep you posted on any differences in color that I notice.

*Pre-pooing or Pre-Shampooing - "Conditioning" your hair before you wash your hair.

Labels: ,