Old vs. New: Mizani Phormula-7 Neutralizing and Chelating Shampoo



Of course as my luck would have it, as soon as I declare a product that has been sitting in my stash for months a staple... they switch things up on me.  I suppose I should be grateful that it's just the ingredients that have changed and it has not been discontinued, but it still annoys me.  I've tried the new version twice now (for both of the roller set tutorials that I filmed) and I'm ready to share my thoughts.


Old vs New:
Consistency/Appearance: The new formula is still a clear formula but it's not a thick as the older formula.  Just a little bit on the runny side.

After Shampoo Results: While both do a great job at cleansing my hair without that striped feeling that you can get with other Sulfate Shampoos, there is a difference in the the silky soft feeling that I am used to after each lather.  But it does still feels soft, which is a plus.  

Impact on End Results: The changes that I've noticed haven't change how I feel about my roller sets, which is key for me.  The look and feel of my roller sets are consistent with what I would have expected with the older formula, so it's still a good shampoo.  I almost wish I hadn't had the privilege of enjoying the older formula because now I'm a little biased.  

Price: The new formula is cheaper.  I buy the liter size bottle and I remember it being in the $30 range before, but this time it was $26.99 which isn't a monumental change but it's nice to stay below the $30 mark for hair products.

The winner of this battle is of course the older formula but I will continue to repurchase Mizani Phormula - 7 even with this new formula.  ...But I sure am glad that there is still some product left in my old formula bottle, I'm going to hold on to it for when I want remember the old times, lol.  

Here are the specs on the 
Old and New Formulas of Mizani Phormula-7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo



I haven't done any research on most of the ingredients listed below, but for you Chemistry majors out there maybe this will give you some more insight on the changes made (good or bad).

Old Formula: 
SS7 Water, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Propoylene Glycol, PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Cocamide Mea, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-7, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal.

*Modifications To Formula: 
SS7 SS14 Water, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Propoylene Glycol, PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Cocamide Mea, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-7, Phenoxyethanol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-7,  PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Wheat ProteinHydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal.

New Formula:
SS14 Water, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Cocamide Mea, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-7,  PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Limonene, Amyl Cinnamal.


*Key:
Cross Out Followed by Underline = Removed and Replaced with
Cross Out = Removed 
Bold = Added

Labels: