How To | Create a Smooth Ponytail When Deep Into A Stretch

I stretch my relaxers for 12 plus weeks at a time.  And while I do not know my hair type, I do know that my new growth is very tightly coiled, which makes getting an inch of new growth to look smooth a daunting task.  I could wear my hair in roller sets to camouflage it or flat iron my roots to tame it, but I prefer to wear buns (and right now I'm air drying too, which adds another layer of difficulty to my situation).  Now, with all of that I had to figure out how to get my hair to look smooth when wearing buns.  Plus looking a mess has been known to be a major reason for ending a relaxer stretch early, so I hope that some of you out there find this helpful.   Below you'll find a picture tutorial of the steps I take to get my unruly 12 weeks post relaxer new growth to lay down smoothly for my buns/ponytails.

This is my new growth the morning after a late night work out:


I create a side part (my edges lay down better with a side part as opposed to a middle part or no part) and comb the hair around my hair line with a wide tooth comb:


I lightly spray the hair around my hair line with water:


I smooth/comb my new growth with a fine tooth comb:


I grab a styling product to create hold:


I apply it to my new growth:


I use a soft bristle brush to work the product in and continue smoothing my new growth:


Then I pull my hair into a ponytail -- taut but not tight! 
(I have to be able to keep it in all day):


Tie a scarf around my hair, while I finish getting ready:


Remove the Scarf and I'm all done! 
It holds all day and as long as I'm not working out/sweating it stays for days if I just apply the scarf each night.


What's your favorite styling aid to create hold? 
You already know mine.

Labels: , , ,