This stretch lasted 11 weeks and 5 days. And you'll remember from my last post
, I spent most of this stretch doing the bare minimum for my hair, so I went into this relaxer day not expecting much retention. I just wanted my hair to come out on the other end looking just as healthy as it was the last time I straightened it. I also wanted to get the best results possible with this relaxer, so I did not skip any of my typical relaxer day steps (but I did use a few different products because I am still trying to pare down my hair product stash
). Check out what I used and how my hair turned out below:
For this relaxer, I used Affirm Fiberguard Sensitive Scalp Relaxer
to get the job done. The supporting cast included:
- Summit Sensitive Scalp to base my scalp and Elasta QP Silkening Serum to the length of my hair before relaxing;
- Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor and Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner as my mid step protein after rinsing my relaxer out;
- Mizani Phormula-7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo to Neutralize after rinsing the protein treatments out;
- Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo with color alarms to check that my hair was properly neutralized;
- Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm to deep condition my hair for an hour;
- after rinsing out the conditioner and letting it air dry for about 30 minutes, I applied (1) Roux 619 Extra Strength Leave-In Vials to correct my hair's porosity, (2) Generic Value Products Concentrated Leave-In Treatment (compared to Sebastian's Potion 9) for some leave-in conditioning, and (3) Elasta QP Silkening Serum as a heat protectant before blow drying my hair;
- Finally, I sprayed Proclaim's Spray On Glosser to each section of my hair as I flat ironed it for added smoothness and shine.
Here are the results:
Overall I am very happy with the way that my hair came out. The main new addition to this relaxer day was the Elasta QP Silkening Serum being used as my "silkening heat protectant," I almost always use CHI Silk Infusions right before blow drying and/or using my flat iron. But I really want to finish this product up and incorporating it into regular wash days wasn't moving it fast enough, so I decided to use it for it's intended purpose and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like the way that my hair turned out. It makes me wonder if the CHI is worth the added expense. I also used the Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner for the first time as a mid step protein treatment because I didn't have enough of the Aphogee to use on all my hair. Thumbs up for that substitution as well.
My final assessment of this "bare minimum" hair regimen experiment is that it keeps my hair healthy and I feel like I can rely on it for future hair slumps. It doesn't give me maximum length retention results and my ends are still thinner than the rest of my hair, but the thinning portion doesn't appear to have creeped up any further (remember the last few length checks
). I'm going to continue to push myself (and my hair) by using my "new hair regimen
" and hopefully, I will get to full waist length hair by the end of this year. But at least I know that I have this minimalist hair regimen
to fall back on, should the my hair enthusiasm waver.
Labels: Length Check, My Relaxed Hair, Relaxer Update, Thinning Ends