Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocking Loose Powder | Under-Eye Setting Powder


If you have dark circles and apply concealer and/or corrector to address that issues, then I'm sure that you are all too familiar with the dreaded under eye creasing.  That area of the eye (especially on me) has fine lines that makeup loves to settle into creating little streaks of concentrated makeup under the eye (un-affectionately referred to as 'creasing').  There are a boat load of products that are marketed and promise "no creasing."  But the reality is that where there are fine lines and wrinkles creasing is just inevitable.  Of course, you want to use products that minimize it as much as possible, but nothing lasts forever.

The LA Girl ProConceal Concealers that I've been using lately.

Lately, I've been wearing the LA Girl ProConceal Concealers for my under eye concealer which apply smoothly and are great for concealing, but they crease after a few hours.  And I figured applying a good setting powder would be a great way to stave off that creasing for a few more hours.  I had been using my Bobbi Brown Yellow loose powder that came with my Almond concealer (the concealer's gone, but I've kept the combo around because I still have powder left).  This is a product specifically formulated to set creamy to liquid concealers that go under the eye.  It worked alright for the creasing.  However, the yellow color was a little too yellow for my complexion.  As the Bobbi Brown setting powder started to dwindle down, I started to look for another setting powder that would work as a good replacement.  I wanted the replacement to prevent the creasing, but I didn't want it to be such a stark contrast to my skin color/undertone.  And then I remembered Wonders of Beauty had written a post about under eye setting powder.  Because her makeup application is flawless and we are the same make up shade (Mac's NC 50), I knew she'd be a great source for a recommendation.  I found this post where she talks about what she was currently using under her eyes and how she applies it to that area.  So, of course I purchased the Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocking Loose Powder on her recommendation (less than $8 at Wal-mart).


My first impression.  It's a very finely milled loose powder similar to the Bobbi Brown powder but the big difference was that this product had a brown/beige tint to it that I felt confident would blend better with my darker complexion.  So I went ahead and patted it onto my under-eye area just as she described (over my concealer).  And because my forehead, nose, and chin also get oily, I applied it there as well.  I let it settle in (as I did my eyebrows) then brushed away the excess and applied my all over face powder (MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark).

I was a little weary of trying a new product for the first time when I'd be out for such a long day, but I am happy to report that this product did not let me down.  After 11 hours of wear this product held UP!  It obviously wasn't as matte and flawless as when I first applied it, but I had no excessive oiliness or creasing all day (12pm to 11pm).  And with no touch ups throughout the day, my makeup still looked good at the end of the night.  So, if you're in the market for a under eye setting powder or an all over setting powder that helps to combat oiliness I would highly recommend that you give this product a try.

This was my first time trying a Black Opal product and I must say that I'm impressed.  It was pretty difficult for me to find a store that carried it, which might be why I'd never used their products before.  But I'm so glad I found it.  Like I mentioned before, it was less than $8 at Wal-Mart and comes with a lot of product.  Great Product and Great Buy! 

Labels: ,