My Relaxer: Affirm FiberGuard Sensitive Scalp Creme Relaxer


My relaxer day is right around the corner and I thought, let's talk relaxers (more specifically, my go-to relaxer).  When I started relaxing my hair myself, I knew that I wanted to use Affirm relaxer because that's what I had used for the majority of my relaxer life pre-hair journey and I was afraid of changing to something new.  But when I started researching it I realized that Affirm had more than one relaxer system out there.  And I wasn't sure whether I was using their regular formula or the FiberGuard System.  But after I read the differences between the two I knew that I'd be trying the FiberGuard System.


The main reason that I was attracted to this relaxer system was that it claimed to "reinforce the hair fiber structure during relaxing...leaving hair with more tensile strength and elasticity after relaxing."  When I read the product description all I heard was "stronger hair," which was what I really wanted to hear because I was recovering from severe breakage.

For a full work up on my initial encounter(s) with Affirm FiberGuard Relaxer and self-relaxing, click here.  The gist of my story was that I struggled with getting my desired straightness for a while, but eventually I was able to consistently achieve my desired straightness.  And while I didn't realize it at first, but this relaxer does not give me bone straight hair, which for some may be a problem.  However, I've come to realize that this is what I love about this product.  I tend to go over the recommended application time of 15 minutes (shame on me, I know), and it's good to know that I have a little wiggle room while I'm applying the relaxer creme to my new growth.  

And when I think about it, it makes sense that this relaxer doesn't yield bone straight results, because that would mean that most of the strengthening bonds in my hair are broken.  Broken bonds would mean hair weaker not stronger hair, like the product promises.  And while I'm on this train of thought, it's probably the same reason that some people ask me if I'm texlaxed/natural.  ...Well, I blame air drying mostly for that confusion. lol.

For reference: I have fine to normal hair strands and my hair is not resistant to chemical treatments.  And I use the Sensitive Scalp (a.k.a. No Lye) version of this relaxer.



What's your favorite relaxer?

Labels: ,