Hot Oils and a Silk Wrap! | Week 20 of My 24 Week Relaxer Stretch Attempt


I joined Jay and Jen's 30 Day Hot Oil Treatment Challenge.  For most of this stretch I've been deep conditioning as a pre-poo treatment.  With this challenge I think it will be a nice change of pace to switch back to hot oil treatments.  My first wash day on the challenge, I'm using Olive Oil and Castor Oil on my scalp and hair.  Since I feel like I've hit a big milestone with my relaxer stretch this week, I decided to straighten my hair as well.  I will be attempting a silk wrap and my goal is to do a better job than I did last July when I was 11 weeks post relaxer

I applied the hot oil, massaged my scalp and let it marinate overnight. The next day I shampooed my hair in three braids (Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthening Shampoo).  I deep conditioned for 30 minutes under a hooded dryer (KeraMinerals Smoothing Deep Conditioner).  Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer,  GVP The Conditioner and Proclaim Wrap Foam were my leave-ins before setting my hair with gray magnetic rollers. I sat under the hooded dryer for 2 hours so that it would dry completely.  When I removed my rollers, I applied Elasta QP Serum to my hair (focusing on my new growth) and prepared to section my hair for flat ironing.  My flat iron was set to 410 degrees fahrenheit as I went through and straightened my roots.  When I got to the front sections I lowered it to 370 degrees fahrenheit.  I wrapped my hair as smoothly as I could and secured it with seran wrap.  I went back under the hooded dryer for another 15 minutes.  And viola! 

I recorded a video of the entire process and compared the results to my last silk wrap video.  
Check it out if you've got some time!

And just for fun a length check :)

Let me just say before you go that the KeraMinerals is amazing!  You will see in the video how easy it is for me to comb through my hair after rinsing the conditioner.  I love it when air drying and it is just as wonderful when using heat.  I did finish the last of it with this wash day, so I'll be heading to Sally's to repurchase another jar this weekend.  The Shea Moisture JBCO Shampoo is not as bad as I remembered (I think the hot oil pre-poo treatment may have helped me avoid the dryness and stiffness I got last time).  Overall an amazing wash day.  (I know it was a lot of heat, but I rarely use heat these days so I'm not concerned about any long term damage.  Plus I won't be using heat again for another 3-4 weeks. )

For those of you stretching your relaxers, 
where are you now and how is it going?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,