Weeks 21 and 22 of My 24 Week Relaxer Stretch | Anyone Baggying Still?

These two weeks followed the same pattern as previous weeks on this stretch.  Lots of cowashing, deep conditioning and detangling.  But something new occurred this week.  My hair was feeling really dry on Tuesday and while I planned to deep condition I didn't get around to it.  And when I found things winding down on Wednesday night, I knew deep conditioning was not going to happen.  Instead I opted to bring back the old school baggy method.  I heard about it on the hair boards years ago, but I have never actually done it as a serious part of my regimen.  I can count on my hands the number of times I've done this.  But I really needed some serious moisture infused into my hair...so baggying it was.

What is "Baggying" or The Baggy Method?
Think of it as an overnight steam session where there is no need to rinse afterwards.

Are there benefits to using the Baggy Method?
Yes, softness, length retention and growth are among the benefits that are tied to the baggy method but for me the best/main benefit is that it moisturizes the hair.  

How do I baggy?
Spritz my hair lightly with water and apply a creamy moisturizer or leave-in to my hair in 4 to 6 sections. (The Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Treatment is perfect for this.)  Cover my ends or entire head with a plastic cap and secure with a scarf over top of that.  Then I go to sleep, but you only need a couple hours (2-3). When I wake up in the morning my hair is damp so I let it air out for a little before putting my hair back into a bun for the rest of my day.  

It really does leave me with soft and moisturized hair in the morning; I like it.  I wouldn't call it a complete replacement for deep conditioning, but it is a nice cheat to re-moisturizing my hair more intensely than simply moisturizing and sealing on dry hair.  

Here's how my wash days have gone so far:

Sunday of Week 21
Pre-shampoo Hot Oil Treatment: Olive Oil and Castor Oils
CoWash: AS I AM Coconut Cleansing Conditioner
Deep Conditioned for an 1+ hour with Silk Elements KeraMinerals Smoothing Conditioner
Leave-In Treatment: Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Leave-in

Wednesday Night of Week 21
Baggying the length of my hair using Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioning Treatment
I let it air dry a little before putting it back into a bun for the rest of the week.

Saturday of Week 22
Deep Conditioned overnight with Proclaim Argan Oil Intense Hydration Conditioner and the last little bit of the Proclaim Argan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque (with Castor Oil and Olive Oil mixed in for a moisturizing boost).
Rinse and then ACV rinse because this DC doesn't smooth very well.
Finished the wash day off with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Leave-in.
Sealed my ends with the same Olive Oil/Castor Oil mix before secure my ends into a bun.

And Tuesday or Wednesday the plan is to deep condition again, but if I don't get around to it, I will definitely be baggying again.

Have you tried the Baggy Method?  
What are your thoughts?

P.S.  I'm doing the Hairlista Castor Oil Challenge again. :) Ultimate Level this time. 😁

Labels: , ,