Relaxing Six Months of New Growth

I've shared the results of my six month stretch, but this is how the relaxer day actually went down.  I was trying to add my snapchat story for you guys to watch at the end of this post, but it wasn't really working out the way I wanted.  Instead, I included screen shots of the whole process.

The Prep Work. 
1. Relaxer day started with me gathering everything I needed to get me through the relaxer application process:

2. I created four sections, based my scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp and applied Vaseline (mixed with my Elasta QP Serum) to my ends.


3. Because it was taking me a while to part my hair without causing breakage, I decided to pre-part the back sections and secure the sections with clamps to make applying the relaxer quicker.  It was a crucial step for applying relaxer to the new growth in the back two sections.  Otherwise I'm sure I would have been slowed down by tangles.  (After watching this video, Fastest Way to Relax, I am going to pre-part all four sections the way she did in that video the next time I relax.  It takes time to do, but with months of new growth to get through it's a good way to ensure tangles don't slow down the relaxer application process.)


4. I mixed two tubs of the relaxer because I did not want to run out half way through.  I filled the activator up to the normal line for both tubs and mixed the activator in until both relaxer tubs were creamy and pink.  Then I applied the relaxer and smoothed my new growth in 15 minutes.  (For my next relaxer, I'm going to be sure to stay within the 16-19 minute range.  I didn't think one minute would make a difference but days later,  I'm wishing I had let it sit for another minute or two.)


After Applying the Relaxer.
1. My Mid step Protein treatment was Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor and I neutralized with Mizani Phormula-7 Chelating and Neutralizing Shampoo (I need to remember to repurchase my Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo because not having that shampoo with color alarms makes me a little more nervous about neutralizing).


2. My deep conditioner was Nexus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner, which I left in for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.


3. Before blow drying, I t-shirt dried my hair and applied GVP The Conditioner and Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer as my leave-in conditioners.


***Blow Dried***


4. After blow drying, I sprayed Proclaim Spray on Glosser and proceeded to flat iron.  The temperature was set to 370 degrees F.


5. Once I was done flat ironing it was time to trim my ends.


And that was it for relaxer day. In case you missed it, the Relaxer Day Results are here! 

Labels: ,