The first step to healthy hair is building a healthy hair regimen, which is essentially deciding what you will do to care for your hair. Depending upon how damaged or healthy your hair is and how much time you are willing to spend on your hair, will dictate how elaborate your regimen is. When I started my hair wasn't very damaged, but it was very thin from several months of breakage. For me I've always wanted to keep it as simple as possible while still doing what needed to be done. A well balanced regimen will include cleansing, moisturizing, strengthening, and protecting.
- Cleansing: I started out with a moisturizing Shampoo because relaxed/permed hair has a tendency towards dryness. So, I try to infuse my hair with moisture whenever possible.
- Moisturizing: a moisturizing deep conditioner as well as a moisturizing leave-in treatment to ensure that your hair stays moisturized until your next wash.
- Strengthening: I firmly believe that anyone who relaxes their hair and uses any form of heat appliance on their hair should be dong protein treatments. How often you do them will depend upon your hair and how often you use heat on your hair. To identify a protein treatment, look for products that have some form of keratin, vegetable proteins, silk proteins, or amino acids listed within the first half of ingredients. Click here for more guidance on proteins.
- Protecting: Using a Heat Protectant has been essential in ensuring the strength of my hair when using heat appliances, such as a blow dryer or flat iron. Not only does it protect your hair from excessive damage from heat use, but it also helps to ensure that the results are soft and silk smooth.
An example Hair Regimen:
- Shampoo your scalp with at least two lathers to remove any build up from styling products.
- Optional: Apply a protein treatment for specified amount of time and allow it to sit for typically 2 to 20 minutes. Some do this weekly while others will do it less frequently, even every 6 to 8 weeks, it depends on the strength of the product and how your hair responds to it.
- Towel Dry.
- Apply Moisturizing Deep Conditioner for 15 to 30 minutes (you can sit under a dryer to maximize moisture penetration).
- Towel Dry.
- Apply Leave-in Conditioner.
- Optional: Apply a Heat protectant if you are using a heat appliance to style your hair.
- Style as desired.
- Repeat these steps every 5 to 10 days (or more often if your feel it's necessary).
My Current** Regimen includes these products:
Shampoo: Nexxus Therappe Moisturizing Shampoo.
Protein Treatment: Aphogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor.
Leave-in Conditioner: GVP* "Paul Mitchell The Conditioner" Leave In Conditioner or GVP* "Sebastian Potion 9" Concentrated Leave-In Treatment.
*GVP denotes Sallys Beauty Supply's Generic Value Products.
**Please note that over the years these products have changed and probably will continue to change as I try out new products. Please do not feel the need to use exactly what I use because everyone's hair is different and will respond differently. Only use this as a guide as you begin to seek out products that will fit seamlessly into your own healthy hair regimen.
Labels: Healthy Hair, Regimen Building